[time-nuts] GPS Serial Data Causes Mouse Pointer to Move

Brooke Clarke brooke at pacific.net
Wed Apr 13 14:10:24 EDT 2005

Hi:

For the last week or so I've been having a problem with the mouse pointer moving all by itself.  Today I finally found that it appears to be a bug in Windows XP SP2 + latest updates.

When Windows powers up it sees the GPS serial data on COM1 and thinks it's "New Hardware" and installs a driver for a serial ball pointing device.

Using Device Manager to uninstall the serial ball pointing device does not work because at the next boot it gets reinstalled.

The fix is to Disable the serial ball pointing device.

73,

Brooke Clarke, N6GCE

--
w/Java http://www.PRC68.com