[time-nuts] HP CBT Cutaway?

chuck at frequencystandards.com chuck at frequencystandards.com
Fri Aug 19 19:50:42 EDT 2005

Hi Jim:
     I seen one several years ago but can't remember where I seen it. I
think it might have been at NIST. From what I remember, they drilled
a hole in the end after releasing the vaccuum by squeezing the pinch
off tube a little bit. Then they poured a liquid clear liquid into
the hole to fill up the tube. I don't know what the liquid was but it
hardened up without much expansion. They then ran it across a saw of
some type lengthwise. The clear liquid was to maintain the position
of everything inside the tube as it was cut open.
     One thing I didn't think to ask them about was did they fill the tube
with water first. If you don't and you use water in your cutting
process, you could have some serious flames from the cesium and water
combining. You would probably have to bake it after you drained the
water back out so there would not be any pockets of it to keep the
clear liquid from setting up.
     I don't recall the specific place they cut it at, just that it was
lengthwise. I would certainly be interested in some photos of it
after you complete  it. Good luck with it.

Chuck Norton
Frequency Standards & Services
2727 E. Palmer Park Blvd. Ste. 100
Colorado Springs, CO. 80909