[time-nuts] Re: Low cost synchronization, kitchen appliances

Chuck Harris cfharris at erols.com
Sun Aug 21 18:42:10 EDT 2005

Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> In message <4308F567.3020205 at erols.com>, Chuck Harris writes:
>

>>However, I have never, ever heard of anyone that could prove to
>>do better than 1 cent.  Do you have any reference to your claim?  Perfect
>>pitch has always been something that has fascinated me, if only because
>>of the total unlikeliness of the whole thing.
>

> I met a violinist some years back who suffered from a 440Hz tinitus on his
> left ear.  When he tuned his fiddle after that, it was 440.0Hz measured
> with a frequency counter.

Did you make this measurement, or were you just told of it?  What was the
repeatablity?

1 cent sharp at 440Hz is approximately 440.25Hz
1 cent flat     at 440Hz is approximately 439.75Hz

(1 cent at any freq = 1: 2**(1/1200) = 1.0005777895)

The pitch one gets out of an open A string on a fiddle varies more than 1 cent depending
on how you support the neck of the instrument, how hard you bow the string,
where you bow the string, and what day of the week it is...

Even playing very softly, my violin is drastically louder than my tinitus.

-Chuck