[time-nuts] Happy Leap Second!

Pieter-Tjerk de Boer ptdeboer at cs.utwente.nl
Sat Dec 31 21:18:01 EST 2005

Hello,

During the leap second, I recorded the (V)LF radio spectrum between
10 and 204 kHz. At my location in Enschede, The Netherlands, this
includes at least four time signal stations:
 - MSF (England) on 60 kHz;
 - HBG (Switzerland) on 75 kHz;
 - DCF77 (Germany) on 77.5 kHz;
 - the French AM broadcast station on 162 kHz which also sends time
   codes as phase modulation.
The first three use amplitude modulation, so their time codes can be
directly read from a "waterfall" display.
I've put such a waterfall picture with annotations at
   http://wwwhome.cs.utwente.nl/~ptdeboer/ham/sdr/leapsecond_dec2005.png
(This is a temporary URL; I intend to make a proper webpage later,
with more explanations.)

Best regards,
  Pieter-Tjerk (PA3FWM)