[time-nuts] source for ICS525 demo board ...

Hal Murray hmurray at suespammers.org
Sat Feb 18 20:33:37 EST 2006

> I keep hoping that the TAPR people will issue a board with it...

I've also been thinking of building something along that line...

My straw man is to use a PCI front panel bracket for mounting.  I was
thinking of getting power from a disk connector rather than the PCI slot
because the low cost PCB fab places don't include gold fingers.  Anybody know
an inexpensive place that does handle PCI cards?

The ICS525 is the best chip I've seen for this sort of work, but I haven't
looked all that hard.  All it takes is one chip and a bunch of jumpers to be
able to select a wide range of output frequencies.

Plan B is your favorite PLL and a CPLD.

Looks like ICS has been Borged by IDT.  Avnet carries IDT, but I don't know
if they sell to hackers/hobbyists and/or if they carry the ICS parts yet.

What sort of frequency range is interesting?  (I'll summarize if people
respond directly to me.)

If you were building something like this, what else would you put on the
board?  I was thinking of an option for a TCXO or OCXO.