[time-nuts] Rain, Water, etc

David Forbes dforbes at dakotacom.net
Mon Mar 6 19:34:24 EST 2006

Google led me to a paper written 10 years ago at by some folks at
Lincoln Labs that determined the GPS-rain delay value experimentally.
The paper is at

http://gauss.gge.unb.ca/papers.pdf/ion96am.anthea.pdf

and the results are up to 300 mm of delay to a GPS signal caused by
rain at MIT Haystack observatory and a few nearby places. That's on
the order of one nanosecond, so it's not much delay in the big scheme
of things. But there are places with more water in the air than
Boston, as has been pointed out. I think Seattle may qualify from
time to time.

I personally can't offer much experimental data, since we haven't had
measurable rain in Tucson for six months now.
--

--David Forbes, Tucson, AZ
http://www.cathodecorner.com/