[time-nuts] Re Danjon Astrolabe

Brooke Clarke brooke at pacific.net
Thu Sep 28 15:21:45 EDT 2006

Hi Tom:

With an atomic quality clock it should be possible to measure the period
of the earth every day using the sun and/or stars and see how far from
86400 seconds it is.

I too have been thinking of how to use the sun in a precision way.
Since UTC is close (UTC1 is better) to the sun's movement it should be
possible to make a clock that's within 0.1 seconds based on the sun's
position.

If using the sun then just using 4 (East, South, West & Up) small solar
panels mounted to the face of a cube might work.  It's easier if the
cube is really square and sitting on a level surface and rotated so that
one face is aligned with true North.  Although you could measure the
current from each panel and calculate the sun's position, it might be
enough to pre calculate ratios and note the time when those ratios
occur.  But as  you know the Equation of Time complicates the relation
between the sun's position and UTC.  For sundials the EOT is taken as
fixed by day of year, but for precision work you need to compute it for
the actual day in question, although taking into account where in the
leap year cycle you are may be enough for 0.1 seconds.

Maybe it's about the same as calculating UTC based on sidereal time from
a star sight?

Have Fun,

Brooke Clarke

w/Java http://www.PRC68.com