[time-nuts] Timing on Ethernet

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Fri Aug 3 08:59:05 EDT 2007

From: "Jack Hudler" <jack at hudler.org>
Subject: Re: [time-nuts] Timing on Ethernet
Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2007 07:38:35 -0500

> ); SAEximRunCond expanded to false
>
> One thing that comes to mind, though I may be missing something here.
> Ethernet is CDMA/CA; would you not loose phase lock during a collision
> because of a corrupted carrier?

As he was considering 10Base-T or 100Base-T there is not real collisions on the
cable as on the old coax days. Ethernet has evolved from those days while
attempting to retain the simplicity. The result is not magnificent but working
OK enought for most cases.

A good trick is to measure the phase of the carrier just at the last edge of
the preamble, since that is where the static preamble pattern creates a static
ISI so very little of the forgoing data affects the phase of the clock. This
trick is used in other cable techniqures.

If running a "hacked" variant of 10Base-T or 100Base-T one could fairly well
optimize things for improved performance.

For a facility like CERN, I think that normal cabel assymetries will be
sufficiently low such that they would not require explicit handling, unless you
have higher synchronisation demands, but in that case I would strongly suggest
a different solution.

Looking at the IEEE 1588 while implementing in your own FPGA seems like an odd
choice. It is an option, but you could fairly easy cook up something which
fits your needs. It is not too hard actually.

The most important issue is what kind of performance do you need?
Maximum time-errors?
Stability requirements?
Full UTC time or only UTC coordinated PPS?
10 MHz clock?

There are several ways to "hack" Ethernet with diffrenent benefits.

Cheers,
Magnus