[time-nuts] Stepping up the output of an OCXO

Ulrich Bangert df6jb at ulrich-bangert.de
Sat Feb 3 05:43:02 EST 2007

Don,

> What sort of SNR is necessary to prevent an uncertaincy
> of 1part in 10^13?

I see, you are a non believer! But Bruce was talking about comparing
zero crossings of signals at a few (!) Hz, which needs indeed tremendous
amounts of SNR to get to an uncertainity of 1 part in 10^13! The reason
is that for precice timing not the signal-to-noise-ratio is the figure
of merit but the slope-to-noise-ratio.

With a 10 MHz signal and a 1 Hz signal having the same SNR the 1 Hz
signal will be inferior 10E7 in terms of slope-to-noise-ratio which
gives raise to the necessity of an 140 dB improved SNR on 1 Hz against
the 10 MHz signal if you want to measure the zero crossings with the
SAME incertainity as on the 10 MHz signal.

If you are still critical about it: A zero crossing detector for a 1 Hz
signal giving a uncertainity of better than 1E-6 (some universes  apart
from your 10E-13) has been celebrated as an first grade scientifical
breakthrough some years ago.

Best regards
Ulrich Bangert

P.S.

Of course the above applies only to sinusoidal signal forms where the
slope of the zero crossings depends on the signal's frequency. So one
might pretend he is going to measure the zero crossings of DIGITAL
signals of a few Hz which may be indeed easy to measure due to their
high slew rates. The people that argument this way must ask themselves
how to make a digital signal from a sine signal which is pretty much the
same problem as measuring the zero crossing with high precision.