[time-nuts] Lucent RFTG-m-XO

Jim Miller timenuts at jcmco.com
Tue Feb 6 20:01:30 EST 2007

On Feb 6, 2007, at 7:24 PM, Robert E. Martinson wrote:

> No, I was running the XO unit all by itself.  My guess is that the
> XO should
> be able to run all by itself???

Perhaps they can, perhaps they can't, but why not prove them in their
intended configuration before attempting to use a non-standard setup?

> I have previously run with the XO & the RB
> interconnected (J5 & 10 MHz Ref).  Not for 24 hours, but at least over
> night, but No GPS stayed ON on both units, Fault was ON only on the
> XO.

"NO GPS" has always extinguished on mine after a half hour or so.

> Previously I have seen no activity on any pins of J6 on the XO,
> will check
> again & also check J6 on the RB unit.  Maybe I really do have a
> serious
> fault??

Data does not immediately appear after power up.  It takes a while
(15 minutes
or more) to start coming out.

> Am I correct in assuming that the data continuously streams out of
> each J6
> connector without any interrogation being sent from a PC??

That is correct - no interrogation is necessary.  The data comes out
gratuitously at 1 second intervals at 9600 8N1 via differential
signalling
on pins J6-5,9.

Note also that J6 1PPS and SMA 15MHz outputs are not present on a
unit that
assumes a STDBY mode after completing its warmup.

73 de JIM N8ECI