[time-nuts] Trimble Software

Didier Juges didier at cox.net
Wed Feb 14 21:02:10 EST 2007

I talked to the Trimble sales manager. He said there really should be
mainly two versions of firmware, and they are mated to 2 different
versions of hardware, so there would be no point of upgrading.

I will try to find the specifics, but he said the older units have much
more available setings, to the point where too many customers were
messing up their units by playing with settings they should have left
alone. So, when they redesigned the hardware a few years later, they
removed some tweaks from the firmware to eliminate a lot of the service
calls. An example of what you could do with an older unit but not with a
new one would be to upgrade the OCXO, which would require to
change/optimize a number of parameters regarding loop compensation and
so forth.

The Trimble software is available in the Support section

http://www.trimble.com/tmg_thunderbolt_ts.asp?Nav=Collection-2357

The manual is pretty detailed and you have enough info to write your own
software, but if you will be using a PC, the Trimble software does all
you want. I am planning to write software for a microcontroller to drive
an LCD display with essential health information, so I don't need to tie
a PC for monitoring, but that will take a little while as my plate is
full at the moment. When I have something, I will post info there. That
will be using a variant of 8051, probably a Silabs chip, or Atmel,
because I have a lot of C code and a good compiler for the 8051. For the
moment, I am working on a Visual Basic program just to understand the
protocol.

Didier KO4BB