[time-nuts] Fine print on HP 5334B

Dr Bruce Griffiths bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz
Thu Feb 22 16:19:00 EST 2007

John Miles wrote:
> What do people observe on their 5370A/Bs?  After warmup, I tend to see a
> bias of about +0.0005 Hz, or 5E-11, when observing its own 10 MHz source.
> There is some occasional random waffling on the order of about +/- 0.001 Hz
> but for the most part it reads close to 10.000 000 000 5.
>
> I have never been able to calibrate the interpolators (specifically the
> anticoincidence adjustment) in these counters, due to lack of a
> vernier-adjustable pulse generator.  When I was going through one last week,
> I just left the anticoincidence pot in the middle of its range, and couldn't
> see any ill effects from doing so.  The manual is not that great at
> describing exactly what this adjustment does.
>
> -- john, KE5FX

John

Connecting the frequency output to the Frequency/period input (set to 50
ohm) with a 1m double screened RG58 cable displays a frequency of
10.000000004 with rms fluctuations of about 2 in the last digit.  This
occurs right at start before any warmup with an HP5370A that doesn't
have an HP10811 or equivalent internal oscillator. oscillator.

Bruce