[time-nuts] Attenuation of typical roof? (at GPS frequencies)

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Tue Apr 1 19:11:06 EDT 2008

Does anybody have any numbers?

Suppose I have an antenna that is high in my attic.  How much do I gain by
drilling a hole in the roof and moving it up a foot?

If I knew the answer (even a rough one), I could compare various ways to get
a few more dB of signal and sort them by cost or effort or ...

Is the attenuation significantly higher when the roof is damp?  I'm assuming
a sloped roof so the water won't be very thick.  (as compared to a flat roof
that might have puddles)

How does a wet roof compare to the water in the air when it's raining?  (or
fog, snow...)

Is there a good web site that covers this?