[time-nuts] Attenuation of typical roof? (at GPS frequencies)

Chris Kuethe chris.kuethe at gmail.com
Tue Apr 1 19:23:19 EDT 2008

On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 4:11 PM, Hal Murray <hmurray at megapathdsl.net> wrote:
> Does anybody have any numbers?
>
>  Suppose I have an antenna that is high in my attic.  How much do I gain by
>  drilling a hole in the roof and moving it up a foot?
>
>  If I knew the answer (even a rough one), I could compare various ways to get
>  a few more dB of signal and sort them by cost or effort or ...

I'm pretty sure you'll get tons more signal outside.

Try an experiment:
If you've got some scraps of wood laying around, build a model "attic"
with similar materials to what you have overhead... eg. a box made
from 1/2 inch plywood covered in spare shingling. Compare signal
strength inside and outside the box.
Or get a broom, put the antenna on the end of the handle and hold it
out the window. Compare signal strength inside and outside your attic.

You could possibly even avoid serious drilling by making a small cable
pass-through somewhere.

CK