[time-nuts] ntpd not talking to gpsd

Matthew Smith matt at smiffytech.com
Wed Apr 2 01:31:21 EDT 2008

Hi Folks

Having laid aside my troublesome Oncore GT+s for the moment, I have
hooked my VP up to the (soon to be) time server and have run gpsd.

Telnet'ing in, I am able to do this:

GPSD,D=2008-04-02T05:17:48.00Z

For some reason, running -D 5 on my Sun Blade 100, I am not seeing any
mention of the DCD changing state (logic probe shows that the line is
getting the 1PPS correctly), although this is working OK on my Linux
ThinkPad, via a USB to serial adapter.  (And yes, I have made sure that
the Sun connector uses pin 1 as DCD, just in case anything was being
done in a non-standard way.)

I set up /etc/ntp.conf (both machines) as advised in the gpsd man page:

server 127.127.28.0 minpoll 4 maxpoll 4
fudge 127.127.28.0 time1 0.420 refid GPS

#server 127.127.28.1 minpoll 4 maxpoll 4 prefer
#fudge 127.127.28.1 refid GPS1

(The second bit was just commented out on the Linux box - the Blade is
running OpenBSD - in case the Linux kernel didn't understand PPS.)

brutus smith # ntpq -p
remote     refid   st t when poll reach   delay   offset jitter
SHM(0)     .GPS.   0 l    -   16    0    0.000    0.000   0.001

...and ditto for the PPS line on the Blade.  'reach' is always zero.
gpsd is most certainly running and is getting the time, as per my test
above (applies to both machines).

What am I missing here?  Do I have to build ntpd from source with extra
options set or something?  The OpenBSD machine is running ntp-4.2.0ap3
and the Linux box 4.2.4p4, the one installed via pkg_add, the other from
the default ebuild.

Time to pull the antenna now - possible storms about.

Cheers

Matthew Smith
Business: http://www.smiffytech.com/
Personal: http://www.smiffysplace.com/