[time-nuts] Disciplining dual oscillators using a 3-corner hat

Richard H McCorkle mccorkle at ptialaska.net
Sat Apr 5 01:47:31 EDT 2008

> Brooke Clarke wrote:
>> Hi Richard:
>>
>> I neat idea.
>>
>> I would think there are three key measurements:
>> TI1 = GPS-A
>> TI2 = GPS-B
>> TI3 = A-B
>> Of these A-B is the most precise and the other two with GPS involved are much
>> lower stability.  In your proposed method only the poor time intervals are
>> being measured.
>>
>> So I would think the approach would be make all three measurements at the same
>> time then in a perfect world you could solve three equations in three unknowns.
>>   But I suspect that the errors will not exactly balance.  So you could split
>> the closing error in two and assign half to A and half to B.
>>
>> Have Fun,
>>
>> Brooke Clarke
>>
> Brooke
>
> The 3 equations aren't independent so you cannot solve them for the 3
> unknowns.
> However, in principle you can solve them for the statistical
> instabilities of the 3 sources provided that the 3 sources are
> statistically independent.
>
> Bruce

Bruce,
Thanks for catching the error and your analysis. I was just
theorizing on some way to reduce the GPS variations prior to
filtering the data using the data availablefrom multiple controllers.
I wanted feedback from the experts on if it was possible and apparently
it is not. My dual standard works well as it is, so I guess I will just
live with the GPS noise like everyone else not using carrier disciplining.

Thanks again,

Richard