[time-nuts] (no subject)

David Hilton-Jones David.Hilton-Jones at clneuro.ox.ac.uk
Mon Apr 14 10:58:43 EDT 2008

Thanks Brian - a useful tip.

David

>>> <wa1zms at att.net> 14/04/08 15:50 >>>
David-

Although you are likely OK being at VHF, please keep in mind that some
of the low-freq "clock" type oscillators have poor phase noise when
it comes to trying to copy signals like CW.

A good easy test is to listen to one of the oscillators on a good
general coverage RX and see how "good" the CW note sounds. If you're
happy with it, then its use as a LO for a transverter is likely OK.

Also remember that modes like PSK31, WSJT, etc. will want slightly better
LO phase noise to function well.

But the CW listening test is a simple easy place to start.

73,
Brian, WA1ZMS/4

 -------------- Original message from "David Hilton-Jones" <David.Hilton-Jones at clneuro.ox.ac.uk>: --------------