[time-nuts] Robert G8RPI -- Odetics 325 PSU

Robert Atkinson robert8rpi at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Apr 19 14:04:14 EDT 2008

Hi Roy,
  I've looked at two of these PSU's that had failed and was unable to repair either of them. (I'm a professional electronics engineer and can fix most things) There were no obvious faults like leaking capacitors or burnt up components. The topology of the auto-switching between 28V DC  and 115/230V AC is not obvious and the PCB is very densely packed making it very hard to trace the circuit or make measurements. The high voltage on the PCB makes it hazardous to work on. I gave up and replaced them with a standard mains input multi-output unit. I don't recall the voltages and ratings (they were marked on the unit), but if you let me know what they are I'll see if I have a suitable unit. email robert8rpi (at) yahoo.co.uk

  Regards,

  Robert G8RPI.

Roy Phillips <phill.r1 at btinternet.com> wrote:
  Hi Robert

You may remember that we exchange info on the 325 SatSyc Receivers. I remember that you said that the PSU was a weak point with the system - you were right on , after finding a suitable antenna and replacing the lithium battery in the Rx., it was running sweetly for about 18 days, but yesterday it failed. The power fuse (AC input) had blown, and following a quick inspection within the PSU - nothing appears to be burnt out or visibly damaged. What was your experiece of fault finding with this item. Before I proceed further, do you have the schematic for the PSU - this is not in the normal manual - its an AC to DC, and a DC to DC unit. Its a quality item, Model VF100 -494-10/CX ,made by "Converter Concepts", and should be worth restoration. Any ideas ?

cheers

Roy UP

and follow the instructions there.