[time-nuts] Disciplining Rubidium

SAIDJACK at aol.com SAIDJACK at aol.com
Fri Apr 25 03:26:24 EDT 2008

Hi Bruce,

the 1ns performance per second was mentioned by someone else in the  previous
threads.

When you lock a BVA OCXO to carrier phase, I would still expect the PLL  loop
time constant to be >>20s, thus the 8E-014 / 2s you mentioned is very  likely
the performance of the BVA Crystal, not likely the carrier phase  real-time
system output.

For example, our Fury with double oven has an ADEV of a couple  of parts per
E-012 1s to 20s, but that performance is entirely  generated by the OCXO, not
the M12+.

I would expect the carrier phase to improve things at the point where the
BVA starts having a rising ADEV. Maybe around a couple 100s? If for  example the
phase comparator has 1ps resolution (that's really quite a  high resolution)
to compare the OCXO and carrier phases (1E-012) then it would  take >12s
averaging intervals in the PLL just to prevent the  measurement errors from
affecting the system performance above 8E-014.

It's late, and I may just be wrong about all this.

bye,
Said

In a message dated 4/24/2008 17:51:25 Pacific Daylight Time,