[time-nuts] GSyncQ GPS Evalution Kits && NTPns

Bruce Griffiths bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz
Fri Apr 25 04:12:22 EDT 2008

Pekka Niemelä wrote:
> Hi, and thanks for your replies PHK and Bruce,
>

> Yes, I'm looking for a Quatech card from a Finnish dealer. So, I need the 2
> serial port version of the card to get everything I need? I'm not sure how
> and what should be fed to the rs-422 connector, can't I use a rs-232c from
> the computer run through a max232? Sorry for asking these stupid questions,
> but I'm kindof out of luck. Synergy says they have something called Deutsch
> connectors from the antenna and receiver. I'm not familiar with this kind of
> connector. Synergy says there is a rs-422 connector, do they provide
> something like a adapter which will turn the Deutsch thing into a RS-422
> connector and separate wires for 1PPS and apparently a second power source?
>
> I'm thrilled that NTPns will work with this setup. :)
>
> warm regards,
> P. Niemelä

Pekka

If you want, you can easily construct your own external RS422 to RS232
transceiver.
Just use a Max 232 to convert the RS232 signals to TTL/CMOS and connect
RS422 receiver and transmitter chips to that.
RS 485 transceivers chips can also be used instead of RS422 transmitters
and receivers, just connect them as drivers or receivers as required.
If you need a circuit schematic I can send you one.

Novatel also use Deutsch connectors on some of their enclosures.

Bruce