[time-nuts] GPS-Attached Equipment Lightning Protection

SAIDJACK at aol.com SAIDJACK at aol.com
Fri Feb 29 18:40:19 EST 2008

Hi Tom,

couple of problems with these gas discharge devices: they need a  significant
voltage to trip, and usually may only help when the hit is a  vicinity hit,
not a direct hit. For direct hits, the goal is to prevent human  casualties,
and fires. I don't think any sensitive RF receiver will survive a  direct hit
without significant change in performance, or failure. Well, the  antenna and
cable would likely be vaporized anyways.

In my experience, putting a low-voltage TVS surge protector such as the
Sision/Panjit 3.0SMCJ24A 3KW diode from RF center to ground (using a 22nH to  33nH
high-power (2-3A) inductor to keep the RF away from the diode) helps  protect
receiver inputs against most proximity hits with minimal effect on the  RF
signal.

This diode will quickly conduct above 24V surges, the Gas tubes need
typically 100's of volts to start conducting.

I used these in a Satellite receiver that was sold in large volumes across
the US after we had a number of receivers returned from the states with active
lightning with input failures. A 33nH inductor and 3KW TVS took care of the
problem. The impedance of the 33nH inductor at 1.574GHz is high (>300 Ohms)
so the transmission loss is << -0.023dB accorcding to AppCad.

bye,
Said

In a message dated 2/29/2008 14:51:00 Pacific Standard Time,