[time-nuts] sync computer clock ticks

Michael Di Domenico mdidomenico at gmail.com
Fri Jan 4 22:22:21 EST 2008

> For example, do you want to timestamp interrupts to synchronize
> machinery? Or just note down the timestamps of bittorrent downloads very
> precisely? Just synchronizing an otherwise idling computer is probably
> much easier than a machine that is doing a lot of additional work that
> can mess up the timekeeping by clogging the processor or just creating
> varying stress on the power-supply lines.

The company i work for makes high performance interconnect solutions
for super computers.  i'm working on a demo where we're sending data
around a ring and i wanted to timestamp all the packets as it hits
each node of the ring.  the servers could be under some stress when
this is running.

i had a feeling what i wanted to do isn't possible, but i figured i'd
ask some experts before i give up.