[time-nuts] 35601A as stand-in for 11848A ?

SAIDJACK at aol.com SAIDJACK at aol.com
Sun Jan 6 22:44:30 EST 2008

In a message dated 1/6/2008 14:54:17 Pacific Standard Time,
bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz writes:

>Another issue to consider is mixer dc offset and mixer induced  phase shift.
>Both of these effects will cause the PLL to lock with the  RF and LO
>signals not in exact phase quadrature (unless the correct dc  offset is
>used at the PLL input amplifier).
Hi Bruce,

I am pretty sure the Mixers' DC output is near zero when I am in lock,  since
it only needs to compensate for the Opamps' offset voltage (very  small).

While the PLL is working on lock, the Mixer is slowly "homing-in"  on the
lock voltage, and I don't really see that affecting the noise floor at  all (the
PLL loop bandwidth is about 1/2Hz, and thus below the analyzers' cut  off, so
I am actually seeing measurements before the PLL is fully locked  already).

Something else is a bit awry here...

bye,
Said