[time-nuts] New Question on HP3048A Phase Noise Test Set

Mike Feher mfeher at eozinc.com
Thu Jan 17 09:24:08 EST 2008

Martyn -

It depends on what you want to know. If you mix 10 MHz with 10.0001 MHz to
create 100 Hz, you will have + 100 Hz and -100 HZ. The spectrum analyzer
will more than likely only show the + 100 Hz. That does not mean there is no
energy at -100 Hz, in fact most of the DSP I/Q processing depends on it. I
do not have a 3048A so cannot replicate your measurement, but, I bet the
3048A is measuring the energy in both sidebands and that is why you are
reading twice the voltage. The only way to guarantee that you have a true
single sideband spur is by filtering. And, even then you have to make sure
that any amplifiers following the filtered signal is well below compression
or you will experience spectral re-growth of the unwanted sideband. Regards
- Mike

Mike B. Feher, N4FS
89 Arnold Blvd.
Howell, NJ, 07731