[time-nuts] Spec An for phase noise measurements

John Miles jmiles at pop.net
Mon Jan 21 16:57:25 EST 2008

> 3562's or 3563's are not expensive.

Yep... I went over to a local fellow's house the other day to buy a 3561A he
had for sale, and he talked me into taking his 3562A as well.  Both were
cheap to acquire, and they're both good analyzers, but neither of them are
interesting by current performance standards.

I will keep the 3561A because it completes the 3048A PN system I'm putting
together, and because it's an amazingly-nice piece of gear even by HP
standards.  It's as if HP contracted the packaging and UI design out to
Apple or Sony, with a nod to Tektronix's 453/454.

But I'm not sure the 3562A can justify the space it takes up.  I'd like to
build a cross-correlating PN rig at some point, but it will use a
more-modern ADC platform, one that doesn't weigh 50 pounds and take up 600
square inches of bench space in exchange for 80 dB of dynamic range.

-- john, KE5FX