[time-nuts] Spec An for phase noise measurements

John Miles jmiles at pop.net
Mon Jan 21 18:59:58 EST 2008

> How does a HP-8660C compare to the HP-8662 and HP-8640B in your opinion ?
>
> Bill....WB6BNQ

I don't have an 8660C, but coincidentally, someone just sent me some PN
plots from one.  Here's a comparison with a typical 8662A and 8640B.

The 8660C is fairly noisy, as you'd expect given its age.   The noise
profile is reminiscent of the 8566 spectrum analyzer's first LO.  It would
not be a good choice as a reference for that reason (you might as well just
use the SA.)

Basically, it's about 25 dB noisier than an 8662A at all offsets between 100
Hz and 1 MHz.  The exact numbers would depend on a lot of things, including
the carrier frequency.

-- john, KE5FX