[time-nuts] Common-view GPS calibrations?

Bruce Griffiths bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz
Mon Jan 28 20:02:28 EST 2008

John Ackermann N8UR wrote:
> I was just looking at the NIST's frequency and time measurement
> services, where for a monthly fee that provide a box that will give you
> either frequency or time calibrations traceable to NIST.  Both services
> use common-view GPS.
>
> Would it be feasible for the time-nuts to do their own common-view
> common-view comparisons?  A quick Google search didn't turn up much
> about the hardware configuration required -- in particular, do you need
> a special type of GPS, or is the SV data available from an M12 receiver
> sufficient?
>
> John

John

Would you like a copy of all the manuals, papers etc available on this
service?
They use a custom multichannel time stamp instrument at both ends.
This uses ramp interpolation of the clock to achieve resolution of
around 25ps or so.
The data from an M12 timing receiver should be more than adequate
especially if the data for all SVs is saved.

There is no reason that the timenuts couldn't set someting like this up.
Provided we create a suitable timestamping instrumentation.

Bruce