[time-nuts] HP5342A GPIB programming

Matt Ettus boyscout at gmail.com
Wed Jan 30 23:34:36 EST 2008

So, after a couple of hours messing with it, I finally got the counter
to tell me a frequency over GPIB.  The magic incantations, in Python
are:

        c.write('AUSR3LCT2ST2')
        freq = c.read(20)

Once I got that working, I set it up to print out the frequency at 1
second intervals.  That worked for 5 minutes, and now the GPIB
interface is essentially dead.  The counter appears to hear and act on
commands, but some acknowledge pin must have died because everything
times out now.  I think the GPIB is dead.

So, given that, anybody have any suggestions on a replacement?  I just
need something that counts to a few hundred MHz, has GPIB, is
reliable, preferably small, and preferably doesn't have a loud fan?

Also, anyone interested in a 5342A which works fine other than the
GPIB interface?

Matt