[time-nuts] Power Supply Questions

Bruce Griffiths bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz
Thu Jan 31 17:24:28 EST 2008

Jason Rabel wrote:
> Does the power source for just a GPS module matter that much? Most that I've
> seen just use a cheap wallwort and a lm-whatever 5v regulator chip...
> nothing fancy.
>

> Jason

Wall warts do (as other supplies with high transformer primary secondary
capacitance) have the unfortunate capability of coupling high amplitude
transients on the mains from the primary to the secondary. The cure is
simple: a non polar capacitor with an appropriate value (several hundred
nF to 1uF or so) connected across the secondary - often omitted to save
money. An AC traszorb connected across the secondary can also be used.

Bruce