[time-nuts] Rb references for audiophiles?

Jim Lux james.p.lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Fri Jul 4 20:56:34 EDT 2008

Quoting Bruce Griffiths <bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz>, on Fri 04 Jul
2008 05:47:53 PM PDT:

> Jim Lux wrote:
>>
>> That one I'm familiar with.. (SpaceWire cables, for instance, have 4
>> shielded twisted pairs, 2 in each direction, with the shields grounded
>> at the sending end for each pair of pairs)...
>>

>> These were just plain old two (gold/palladium plated) pins for each
>> "cable" (granted, the cable is some complex braided combination of
>> silver ribbons, which is a fairly exotic form of Litz wire, I
>> assume... but no shield)
>>

> Unless each individual strand is insulated from all the others (as it is
> in true Litzendraht) braiding the wire is ineffective in reducing skin
> effect.
>
> Bruce

It was unclear from the literature I saw, but I have to assume that
they know this (Litz wire and all it's properties have been
"fashionable" in one sense or another for the audiophile biz for
decades... I had friends who made their own).  On the other hand...

I did run across an interesting product for high end audio (not
recently)... air core tape wound inductors (i.e. a pancake shaped coil
with the winding of thin tape, instead of wire) in both silver and
copper.  Very interesting stuff.   A friend was looking at using them
for magnets for a rail gun type system (since they have have a hole in
the middle for mounting)...

Jim