[time-nuts] Thunderbolt and USB to RS232 converters

David Smith david at smithfamily.net.au
Mon Jul 7 02:10:35 EDT 2008

>> In the device manager, choose "View: Show hidden devices." The grayed
>> out devices have once been, but are no longer, connected to your
>> machine. Remove the ones that you no longer care about. You can also
>> remap the comport-numbers in the properties of the serial port devices,
>> use the button "Advanced..." there.
>
> I'm aware of those, but the next new USB serial device you plug in will
> still be the next higher number.  It is the counter for this number I've
> not been able to locate.

I've just sorted this problem on another thing I was doing, although I
was only up to COM14!

It seems there are "hidden" hidden devices.  Have a look at this:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315539

So once you clean out the hidden devices and the hidden, hidden devices,
then you can remap your USB Com port back to COM3 or whatever, and it'll
stay there!

Note that even plugging the same USB-RS232 converter into another USB
port on a hub will create a "new" COM port.

Regards,
Dave
VK3HZ