[time-nuts] Thunderbolt Controllers

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Mon Jul 7 04:01:11 EDT 2008

> The GPS may drop out, so a disciplined oscillator is in order, but
> how can you get the GPS signals parsed to identify say minute markers
> without running a computer?

There are lots of 8 bit micros that are smart enough to parse the stuff from
a TBolt and wiggle a few pins.  You have to be happy writing that sort of
software.

> With a small 4 channel data logger I can then record a clock for a
> year and its relationship to UTC, temperature and barometric pressure.
> I would only need a battery backup power supply for the TBolt.

What are you going to record?  How often?  What triggers a recording?

If you log things with a PC, then it's pretty simple to make your PC track
UTC so all you have to do is add a time stamp to each record.

Or if your data logger has time but that time isn't good enough, you could
make the PC wiggle a pin on the printer port occasionally and make that
trigger a recording on the data logger.  You would either do it at known
times (say top of the hour), or get the PC to record when it does it so you
can sort things out later on.