[time-nuts] Fury ntp refclock

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Mon Jul 7 19:09:57 EDT 2008

smace at intt.net said:
> I've created a ntpd refclock driver for the Fury GPS receiver. The
> refclock is based on the NMEA driver.

Neat/thanks.

There is currently a major reluctance to add new drivers to the main ntpd
source pool.

I think we should add this logic to the hpgps driver.

> The driver was created because the Fury does not fully implement the
> ptime:tcode? T2 string.  The output is not on-time and the status
> fields are always 0.  So, it is not going to work with the hpgps
> refclock. As it turns out the T2 string is rather limiting anyways.

Said: Can you make the T2 string be "on time" and/or fix the status fields?

Would it be better to invent a T3 string that had everything needed to tell
time and also everything people are likely to want logged?

Is "everything" a sensible concept?  Would that be too much for most people
and still not enough for a few?  Maybe a mode in the Fury would solve that?
Or bit mask?  The driver would just log everything after the date/time/status
so it doesn't care.  (as long as it isn't too long)

There is currently a bug/oversight in the hpgps driver.  It only gets one
sample per poll interval rather than 1 per second.  (The refclock interface
has a FIFO and code to discard outliers and average the rest.)  Fixing this
is high on my list.

The hpgps driver currently logs a 24x80 status screen if you ask for clock
statistics.  I'd like an option to record just the interesting parameters.
Of course, I have to do this without breaking anything for people who use the
current setup.