[time-nuts] precise external reference time for a PC

Tom Van Baak tvb at LeapSecond.com
Sat Jul 12 10:47:26 EDT 2008

> Hi all,
>
> for an upcoming experiment I am looking for precise external
> time reference, preferrably an atomic clock that I can hook
> up to a computer running a Unix variant.
>
> I should be able to read out the time with a low latency, e.g.
> over PCI or PCI-e bus.
>
> The time reference will serve me as a, well reference, to
> calibrate a series of various radio clocks.

Are you sure you want or need a PC-based card for this?
This sort of precise calibration is often much easier with a
simple frequency or time interval counter. Have a look at:

Clock Powers of Ten
http://www.leapsecond.com/ten/

1.8 ppm frequency error in a Junghans WWVB radio clock
http://www.leapsecond.com/pages/Junghans/

Decoding WWVB atomic time radio controlled clock
http://www.leapsecond.com/pages/sony-wwvb/

/tvb