[time-nuts] Old Loran

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Sun Jul 13 15:26:35 EDT 2008

From: "Poul-Henning Kamp" <phk at phk.freebsd.dk>
Subject: Re: [time-nuts] Old Loran
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2008 19:22:00 +0000

> In message <20080713.211304.415917433278919178.cfmd at bredband.net>, Magnus Danie
> lson writes:
>
> >Considering the modernizing of LORAN-C with data subcarrier and modernized
> >transmitter equipment it could be argued that it to some degree is a LORAN-D.
>
> No, Loran-D was a (tactical ?) system with 16 pulses instead of 8 for improved
> S/N ratio.

Certainly, but if that never happend, then the modernized Loran-C is what we
got instead. That was what I tried to say...

Loran-D was probably canceled since GPS happend instead. Several projects was
canceled or moved into GPS. Both the air force and navy was looking at similar
enought things.

Cheers,
Magnus