[time-nuts] Thunderbolt SV and AMU Signal levels

David Ackrill dave.g0dja at tiscali.co.uk
Tue Jul 22 19:14:41 EDT 2008

Sorry to be a bore, but like any kid with a new toy I'm facinated by the
changing values on the display...

What do the values under SV and AMU mean?

Maybe I should recognise them from other GPS satellite days, but they
don't seem to be values that I remember.

I'm sure it all means that they are to the north, south, east or west of
here and to do with signal strength to my location or how good, or bad,
the lock to the satellites is..  But, nothing that I can remember, to be
honest...

The 10MHz output seems, as far as my old Multifunction Counter is
concerned, to be to 10.00000MHz within +/-0.00001 MHz.

The display showing 10.00003 to 10.00004 MHz all evening.

So, my guess is that my poor old counter is +/- 10Hz out, but that may
be due to the age and non-calibration of my frequency counter over the
years.

Or... The Thunderbolt 10MHz output is moving up and down by 0.00001 MHz
within a 10MHz band.

This is where I start to get to grips with the spectrum analyser that a
friend of mine lent to me.  I hope...

Dave (G0DJA)