[time-nuts] Thunderbolt SV and AMU Signal levels

David Ackrill dave.g0dja at tiscali.co.uk
Wed Jul 23 12:59:33 EDT 2008

Ulrich Bangert wrote:

> just in order to prevent anybody into believing that
>
>> Variation of +/- one count in the last digit is normal for
>> any counter.  It
>> is caused by a slight shift between the counter gate and the
>> input signal.
>> The longer the time between digit changes, the more stable
>> the phase between
>> the unknown and the counter gate.
>
> were some kind of universal truth: This resembles the counter technology
> of some 30-40 years ago and you will not find any counter model of any
> serious manufacturer that uses "gate times" (if this term should be
> allowed at all today) which are uncorrelated to the input signal.

Remember that I am using a counter that is probably of that sort of
vintage...

It would not have been 'cutting edge' even when I bourght it over 20
years ago, and it does have diferent gate setting times of 0.01, 0.1 and
1 second.

As a general purpose counter, it works OK.  At least, for the majority
of Amateur Radio use where precision and accuracy are not necessarily
required to really close limits anyway.

Dave (G0DJA)