[time-nuts] Thunderbolt and USB to RS232 converters

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Wed Jun 25 20:02:31 EDT 2008

> That's a good point. The older Prolific drivers had a nasty habit of
> crashing my laptop (Win XP would not wake up) if I put it in
> hibernation with the adapter plugged into the USB socket. The new
> drivers mostly fix the problem. I may occasionaly have to unplug and
> replug the device after waking up, but the OS no longer crashes.

The SIRF GPS units use the Prolific chips.

I have had mixed results with them on Linux.

They don't work like I expect when I try to use several of them on a high
speed hub.  The Prolific chip wants some guaranteed bandwidth and Linux has
troubles allocating it.  I thought I found a kernel option to get around
that, CONFIG_USB_EHCI_TT_NEWSCHED, but I tried to clean things up last night
and mumble.  I guess it helps but not as much as I though.  Mumble.  It may
be the hub-hub case that doesn't work.  I've got a 7 port hub which is really
2 4 port hubs chained.

I haven't noticed any troubles without the hub.  I'm not doing anything fancy.