[time-nuts] PLOTTER & EZGPIB

Ulrich Bangert df6jb at ulrich-bangert.de
Sat Oct 11 08:17:40 UTC 2008

Don,

basically my understanding is that every application communicates with
the GPIB hardware itself (may it be a plug in card, a usb interface or a
network based device) not DIRECT but by means of drivers % dlls. The
sense of it all is to make the application more or less independend from
the used GPIB hardware.

I have a feedback that a script that I have written here and used with a
NI GPIB pci card run without any changes on a different system with a NI
USB GPIB adapter. So there is hope the same holds true for network GPIB
adapter. Perhaps it is you to make the proof?

Regarding VISA: What is built into EZGPIB is the very basic VISA stuff
but NOT an complete implementation. If you do already have VISA based
applications check them out whether the used commands are available in
EZGPIB.

My suggestion is that you just give it a try. With a basic understanding
about how to talk with the devices connected to the bus it should be a
matter of minutes to perform some tests.

Best regards
Ulrich