[time-nuts] Lassen IQ receiver

Morris Odell vilgotch at bigpond.net.au
Sat Oct 11 12:08:33 UTC 2008

Hi Mike,

The Lassen IQ is a little PCB mounted 12 channel receiver about half the
size of a matchbox, which is intended for OEM applications. It's not easy to
open to see what's inside. It uses tiny surface mount connectors to get
signals in and out but there's no access to the oscillator if you want to
use an external osc.  It doesn't have a built in antenna so the performance
depends on the external antenna connected to it. It seems to handle
constellation changes quite well as far as I can see. The application info
says it can be used for navigation as well as timekeeping.

It has 2 serial ports as well as a 1 pps output. One serial port is used to
control and read it using Trimble's TSIP binary protocol. There is free DOS
and Windows software available from Trimble to do this. The other port can
be configured to use TSIP, NMEA or Trimble's own ASCII protocol called TAIP.

I paid AU$70 about 2 years ago, which at the time was equivalent to about
US$60. You could probably do better these days. I bought a bunch of old 6
channel VP Oncore receivers about a year ago on ebay for AU12 each. They are
ideal for timing aplications and clocks.

HTH,

Morris