[time-nuts] My new Podcast about "Atomic Timekeeping"

Greg Anderson atomicelmer at gmail.com
Tue Oct 28 00:28:49 UTC 2008

Since the birthday when I was given my first digital watch, I've been
concerned about having my watches and clocks set to "the correct
time," right down to the second. In the 1980s I was able to determine
the time using WWV on a shortwave radio. Later, I was thrilled to see
radio controlled clocks which would set themselves using WWVB as a
reference. Since 1995 I've purchased hundreds of radio controlled
clocks for my own collection and to give away to loved ones whenever
there's a special occasion.

For about ten years I've run a little web page to help spread the word
about radio controlled clocks. But I must say that I had no idea
anyone could privately own a real atomic clock. I always though the
real things were reserved for big-time science organizations and/or
government-run facilities. You guys are really something!

My latest project is an audio podcast about the wonders of "atomic
timekeeping," although I admit my emphasis will probably remain with
inexpensive, radio controlled clocks made for "average consumers."

I just started this and, so far, I've only released four episodes. I
haven't done much publicity and I'd love it if I got a whole lot more
listeners. So you're all invited. Again, my podcasts may not be nearly
advanced enough to interest the folks on this mailing list but maybe
you have friends, children or grandchildren who'd enjoy a discussion
about this stuff at what I consider a "Jr. High School Science" level.

Please feel free to check out the official show notes blog...

http://atomicelmer.blogspot.com

..or the feed version of that same blog...

http://feeds.feedburner.com/blogspot/atomicelmer
(The feed version allows stuff like an iTunes subscription, etc.)

I will be releasing the new, fifth episode this Thursday afternoon at
5:00 PM Eastern Time. It's my "Daylight Saving Time Special."