[time-nuts] Time-zones and World time..

MOSEL Sam sam.mosel at baesystems.com
Fri Oct 31 05:49:02 UTC 2008

-----Original Message-----
From: time-nuts-bounces at febo.com [mailto:time-nuts-bounces at febo.com] On
Behalf Of Steve Rooke

> When I communicate with the US, I have to work out which time-zone the
place I'm talking to
> is in and correct for that. It's probably not so much of a problem for
someone in America
> as you get used to the time-zone differences but this adds complexity
for an outsider.
> I just wondered if it would add global communications and buisiness to
have a single World standard.

When most people communicate with other time zones it's via telephone or
email, and when they calculate the destination local time, it's to
answer the question "Are they likely to be awake?" or "Are they more
likely to be at work or at home?". Having a global time won't solve this
problem, you will still have to do the conversion to find out the local
time to answer these questions.

If you're scheduling radio comms then the Military probably have the
correct approach - Zulu time for everything.

Sam.

Disclaimer :
The contents of this e-mail including any attachments are intended only
for the person or entity to which this e-mail is addressed.  If you are not,
or believe you may not be, the intended recipient, please advise the sender
immediately by return e-mail, delete this e-mail and destroy any copies.
The Company does not warrant nor guarantee that this email communication is free
from errors, virus, interception or interference.