[time-nuts] Frequency Divider

Bruce Griffiths bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz
Thu Apr 2 02:49:32 UTC 2009

Brian

Ideally one would use something like a Johnson counter or a Grey code
counter, decode the required outputs and then resynchronise the decoded
outputs using a set of dedicated flipflops.
Since such counters only change the state of one flipflop at a time it
is possible to avoid decoding glitches.
The resynchronisation flipflops minimise the clock to output delay and
its associated tempco as well as minimise the jitter.
Although the decoders can have glitch free outputs there will be some
edge delay patterns that repeat every ten input clock periods.

If one is using a set of retiming/resynchronisation flipflops then
decoder deglitches are relatively unimportant as they are eliminated by
the retiming flipflops.

One could use a 74HC4017 and produce the 5MHz output as:

5MHz = Q0 +Q2+ Q4 + Q6 + Q8
which will be glitch free.
However resynchronisation will be necessary to minimise periodic
variations in edge delay for this output.

1MHz = Carry Out

Bruce