[time-nuts] RF mixers for oscillator characterization, some questions

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Sun Apr 19 23:54:18 UTC 2009

Hej Bruce,

Bruce Griffiths skrev:
> Hej Magnus
>
> Magnus Danielson wrote:
>> Bruce Griffiths skrev:
>>> Arnold

>>> Not without changing the IF port connector or at least insulating its
>>> shell from ground.
>>> It may be easier just to construct you own mixer if you cant easily
>>> obtain the PCB mount Mincircuits mixers that have separate IF and RF
>>> grounds.
>> Bruce, many SMD mixers also have separate LO, IF and RF grounds. It is
>> just not documented in the datasheets. The recommended footprint
>> pattern (on say RMS-5+) actually ties them together. The MiniCircuit
>> SMD mixers I have been able to investigated (some of them have open
>> bottom, so looking in just takes a sharp eye) is not hooked up with a
>> internally forced common ground. A simple DC resistance measurement
>> would indicate if a particular model has their grounds connected
>> together, but really, they should fix their datasheets. I guess it
>> just haven't been important for them before.
>>
> Yes its likely that at least some SMT mixers have isolated grounds,
> however not all will.
>
> In particular all Minicircuits SMT phase detectors appear to have a
> common ground:
> The bottom view of the SYPD series phase detectors (attached) seems to
> indicate that all grounds are connected together internally (or at least
> externally on the package).

Appears is the key word. I have a Minicircuits SMT mixer which does have
separate ground in real life but this is not visible in either the
datasheets internal schematic, pin list or layout. The SYPD could infact
also have them. The SYPD-1 does not seem too unreasnoble to actually
have separate grounds. If it has separate grounds, the pairs should be
1-6, 2-5 and 3-4.

The lack of these details in the datasheets rules out being able to make
conclusive decisions on this. Sample them and measure rules.

The way these are manufactured, having to bond the grounds together
within the encapsulation would be a nuance.

Now, to make it clear, I do _NOT_ say that all of them has isolated
grounds, but I say that some of them do have them, even if not
explicitly documented in the datasheets. This also makes it hard to
select amongst them to find those which do have isolated and those that
don't. The plain and ugly truth is that we do not know, except that we
may not be having the correct information. We just have to be careful
not to draw conclusions from information which was not designed to
convey this detail.

Cheers,
Magnus