[time-nuts] RF Mixers for oscillator comparison

Ulrich Bangert df6jb at ulrich-bangert.de
Mon Apr 20 07:21:02 UTC 2009

Arnold,

as Bruce did already mention Minicircuits names MUNICOM as one of their
German distributors. The second source is Industrial Electronics Gmbh where
I buy Minicircuit parts from, just because they are located in the northern
part of Germany as me. They can supply a lot of parts right out of their own
stock and need only few parts to order themselves from the US. They deliver
also in small quantities like 1-5 but be prepared to pay a higher price per
part in small quantities.

Minicircuits have a BROAD range of mixers. Among other they built the RAY-3,
a 23 dBm high level mixer, that I have seen used in oscillator
characterization publications. My understanding about the benefits of high
level mixers for that purpose is that it allows you to work with higher RF
levels which in turn leads to a higher IF level which in turn may lead to a
better overall s/n of the system.

On the other hand Minicircuits now supplies a class of "high output level"
mixers that may perhaps serve the same purpose.

Best regards
Ulrich Bangert