[time-nuts] Even better than a leap second

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Fri Feb 13 14:52:50 UTC 2009

Thomas A. Frank skrev:
> http://www.engadget.com/2009/02/13/this-afternoon-party-like-
> its-1234567890-unix-time/
>
> This afternoon, party like it's 1234567890 Unix time
>
> by Ross Miller, posted Feb 13th 2009 at 5:41AM
>
> Number aficionados, you probably already know what happens today. As
> of 6:31:30PM ET this afternoon it will officially be 1234567890 Unix
> time, which started at zero and has been counting seconds since the
> stroke of midnight on January 1, 1970, not counting leap seconds. We
> suggest you put on your best watch or other geek chic and enjoy that
> one fateful second of sequential bliss -- as the story goes,
> 1234567891, party over, oops, out of time. In case you've got other
> plans and can't celebrate the milestone, we'll see you December 22,
> 2282 at 3:13:30PM ET for the merriment of 9876543210.

Of the three time_t interpretations... which is it?

I am sure the party will be long enought to enjoy all three
interpretations, but never the less...

Need to calculate the different between UTC-TAI again at 1 Jan 1970...
I don't recall if it was 8 seconds and 82 or 85 us... something like that.

Hmm... I think I just came up with a fourth interpretation of when the
time_t... need to check details.

Is it wise to use such an ambiguous timing marker?

Cheers,
Magnus