[time-nuts] DIY Frequency extension for HP Agilent 53181A, 53131A or 53181A

RFSPACE pieter.ibelings at gmail.com
Sun Feb 15 20:08:52 UTC 2009

Samuel,

The prescaler option is detected by pin 9 and 10 of the 10 pin header. If
you look at the page3 of 4 of the 53132A, you see a pair of pins called
CH3CODE1 and CH3CODE0. Those tell the processor that the board is plugged
in. If you go to the page for the 12.4 GHz prescaler, you can see that the
pins 5 and 10 can be pulled high or low to tell the counter what board it
is. The pinout on the main board and the prescaler board is different to
confuse the hacker. The pinout on the prescaler board is:

6-1
7-2
8-3
9-4
10-5

the pinout on the main board is:

2-1
4-3
6-5
8-7
10-9

This is why the pins 10 and 5 that are used to ID the board, match the
schematic pins 9 and 10. It looks really simple to build this board. I would
like to add 3GHz to my HP53131A. Currently I use a programmable divider from
Hittite. I have it set to /10 and do the math in my head.

Pieter, N4IP