[time-nuts] DIY Frequency extension for HP Agilent 53181A, 53131A or 53181A

Brooke Clarke brooke at pacific.net
Sun Feb 15 20:49:23 UTC 2009

Hi Samuel:

The 2x5 pin connector pin out is not at all clear.

Your Channel 3 photo seems to show:
#	 Chan 3
----------------
1  	DCOM
2  	CH3 Out
3
4
5
6	+12 in
7
8	DCOM
9
10	Fun gnd

Your 12.4 Ghz photo has the ribbon cable covering the PCB at the connector so
can not be used for pinout info.

But the manuals show:
#  12.4 G	Chan 3		Main Board
    pin# NG      pin# NG         Pin# OK
1  DC com	PreSsl Out	DCOM
2  DC com	DC com		CH3 in
3  +12 in	+12 in		DCOM
4  64/65 in	A com		CH3_DET_EN out
5  Fun Gnd	Fun Gnd		SW+12V
6  PreSsl Out	n.c.		SW+12V
7  Opt +5	Opt +5		SW+5V
8  +12 in	+12 in		SW-12V
9  Fun Opn	Fun gnd		CH3CODE1
10 Fun gnd	Fun gnd		CH3CODE0

The manual pin out info for Chan 3 and 12.4 GHz seems bogus.  Probably is OK if
the connector pin numbering is changed.  But haven't figured out the key to
that.  The photo matches the main board pin out.
nx2 IDC connectors are numbered:
1 3 5 7 9
2 4 6 8 1
         0
but the cable is numbered (band)1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
IC packages are numbered:
1
0 9 8 7 6
1 2 3 4 5