[time-nuts] Thunderbolt power supply open heart surgery

Dave Ackrill dave.g0dja at tiscali.co.uk
Tue Feb 17 11:02:52 UTC 2009

Jim Palfreyman wrote:

> Has anyone else had this problem?

The PSU that came with my Thunderbolt was DOA as well, like yours there
was the characteristic smell of burnt electronics when I opened it up.

I was lucky, I managed to get an almost exact replacement at a local
electronics shop and, having looked at my dead PSU, I would suggest that
repairing the dead one might be a bit of a problem.  Even if you work
out the resistor value you have to wonder what caused that amount of
current to flow though it?  My guess would be that something else went
short circuit and replacing whatever it was might be more trouble than
buying a new PSU...

Dave