[time-nuts] Thunderbolt power supply open heart surgery

Martin Richmond-Hardy martinrh45 at googlemail.com
Tue Feb 17 11:15:40 UTC 2009

Swollen capacitors or ones with a little volcano hole are a clue, but there
may be other components that have been stressed but are not yet dead and now
have a shortened life-expectancy. Had this problem with my iMac. Died 3 days
after the smoke alert.Best of luck!
Martin G8BHC

2009/2/17 Dave Ackrill <dave.g0dja at tiscali.co.uk>

> Jim Palfreyman wrote:
>
> > Has anyone else had this problem?
>
> The PSU that came with my Thunderbolt was DOA as well, like yours there
> was the characteristic smell of burnt electronics when I opened it up.
>
> I was lucky, I managed to get an almost exact replacement at a local
> electronics shop and, having looked at my dead PSU, I would suggest that
> repairing the dead one might be a bit of a problem.  Even if you work
> out the resistor value you have to wonder what caused that amount of
> current to flow though it?  My guess would be that something else went
> short circuit and replacing whatever it was might be more trouble than
> buying a new PSU...
>
> Dave

Martin Richmond-Hardy